It is a pleasure to choose the style of your kitchen! In this room you will be daily spellbound, eating, socializing and welcoming guests.
What to pay attention to when choosing a style, in addition to their very first associations and thoughts:
- To the lighting. If there is a lack of natural light in the kitchen, then southern styles, say Mediterranean, should be chosen with care. The fact is that in dull northern lighting “southern” interior details may look like theatrical scenery.
- On the relevance of the details. In choosing the style of the kitchen you can orientate yourself to the style of the house. In this way, the interior will be a natural extension of the appearance of the building. If you live in a house of classical architecture, it is worth choosing a traditional style, such as art deco or neoclassic. But the kitchen in a new building is best equipped with some modern style, such as Scandinavian.
- On the size of the room. Decorative techniques inherent to some styles can visually expand the kitchen, some – on the contrary, “will steal meters”.
Now let’s look at the 14 main directions of interior design. To learn more about a style and see more photos, click on the links with details. Let’s look at this article main line kitchen design.
- 1 Classic style kitchen
- 2 Scandinavian style kitchen
- 3 American style kitchen
- 4 Art Deco Kitchen
- 5 Provence style kitchen
- 6 High tech kitchen
- 7 Loft style kitchen
- 8 Cafe style kitchen
- 9 Eco style kitchen
- 10 Country style kitchen
- 11 Shabby Chic Kitchen
- 12 Mediterranean style kitchen
- 13 English style kitchen
- 14 Russian style kitchen
Classic style kitchen
Classics in design are chosen by people, usually established, who prefer a measured lifestyle and elegance in everything. The key characteristics of classical style: symmetry in architecture and decoration, strict forms, muted colors, natural and high quality materials, the presence of stucco, gilding, patina and other traditional jewelry.
The Scandinavian style is not by chance popular, because it is so suitable for small apartments with lack of sunlight. In addition, the Scandinavian interior is quite simple to create with furniture.
- The main color is white. Additional colors can be any – both very bright and discreet, natural.
- Furniture and utensils are not elegant, but stressed simple, functional, lightweight.
- Abundance of textiles (including fur) and at the same time minimalism in the design of windows (curtains can be dispensed with to allow more light).
- Natural materials (especially textured wood).
- Combination of modern furniture with vintage or retro decoration.
American style kitchen
The American style is the same classic, only simpler and more practical. In the “American” kitchen you can often see: a kitchen island, a sink at the window, facades with fillets, an open space divided into several zones.
Art Deco Kitchen
Art Deco likes symmetry, strict or, conversely, smooth streamline lines, expensive and exotic materials, animalistic prints, metals, stone, mirrors, massive chandeliers. Do you want to imagine an interior in Art Deco style? Remember the film “The Great Gatsby”.
Provence style kitchen
The interior in the Provencal style is simple and elegant at the same time. How do you create a French provincial atmosphere in our apartments?
- A natural colour scheme;
- It’s a rough finish;
- It’s like shabby walls, furniture, decoration;
- Abundance of linen and cotton textiles;
- Flower prints;
- Porcelain dishes;
- Flowers and plants in clay and porcelain cachepo.
High tech kitchen
In contrast to the tender Provencal motifs – a step into the future: strict, super ergonomic, technological and functional. High-tech is unthinkable without clear geometry, built-in technology, abundance of steel and chrome, silver and dark surfaces, LED lighting.
Loft style kitchen
For several seasons the loft has been loved by all fans of modern and photogenic designs reminiscent of factories and warehouses. In this case, we use:
- Rough brick of native color or painted with matte paint;
- Edison’s lights, garlands on black cords;
- The beams are on the ceiling;
- Pipes and wires (you just have to leave them out in the open);
- The textured tree;
Cafe style kitchen
Take inspiration from your favorite cozy cafes and assemble your kitchen interior in detail:
- Chalk paint for walls or chalkboard;
- Panels with imitation of masonry;
- Posters in frames (especially retro posters);
- Bar counter and/or coffee table;
- Chess floor (if you like the atmosphere of American cafes in the 30s).
Eco style kitchen
Lack of unity with nature can be made up for with the help of interior design. Your kitchen will be a small portal to the forest glade. Here’s how to do it:
- Use wood, natural stone, cork;
- Place a panel on the wall with vertical greenery: it is a eye-catching and soothing “living picture”;
- Set up a small garden or a window sill;
- To strive for minimalism in the environment;
- Use wooden saws, wicker mats and furniture in the decor.
Country style kitchen
Country chic is suitable for those who love the coziness and atmosphere of a village house. The main characteristics of the style:
- Roosters, cage, peas, flowers and other pastoral motifs;
- Lots of textiles;
- A warm color scheme;
- Natural materials, the main material is wood;
- Ceiling beams;
- Ruined furniture and decoration.
Shabby Chic Kitchen
Shabby’s style of chic (translated as “shabby chic”) was invented in the 80s by English Rachel Ashville. The designer combined Victorian aesthetics, modern practicality and a love for flea market furniture.
Mediterranean style kitchen
The Mediterranean style is most organic for light and sunny kitchens. Corners of Spain or Greece in the apartment – a reason for joy and pride in front of guests. How to achieve harmony in this design? We use it:
- Painted tiles, majolica;
- For walls we choose white, beige, olive, terracotta, ochre or blue;
- In a decor we use recognizable prints: lemons, olive branches, shells;
- We bet on natural materials, actively use tiles, stone, wood and wicker.
English style kitchen
Fans of almost excessive coziness and maximum chamberiness will love England. In this kitchen it’s as if time stops, and the hands usually freeze at five o’clock when it’s time to get a thin, elegant set and add milk to your tea.
- Narrowing down the crowding and the abundance of details;
- Wallpaper in a cage or vertical stripe, heraldic patterns, floral print;
- Furniture with upholstery, tight curtains and tablecloths;
- Traditions in decoration: sets, watches, engravings, beautiful jars for cereal and tea.
Russian style kitchen
Russian style – it’s fresh and interesting! Look at it and fantasize: collecting allusions to a Russian hut or a noble manor is incredibly curious. The cuisine is lavish with abundance, hospitality and some inexplicable sanctity of simplicity. How to achieve this in detail:
- Wood: both coarse and skillfully carved;
- Fabrics: canvas, embroidered or ruffled;
- Utensils and details with traditional ornaments: Khokhloma, Gzhel, Jostovo painting;
- Wicker baskets, matryoshkas, samovars, balalaikas, wooden spoons, grips – all this can be beaten with taste.
The kitchen is a special place, accumulating the traditions of your family. Create its appearance together, bring in your recognisable ‘tags’, mix them in iconic styles and don’t forget the functionality.
Comfort of being in the room, convenience of using furniture and appliances, cleanliness and order are relevant for any of the selected styles, and what exactly it will be – you choose!