Sleep is a favorite mode for many people. Did you know that a person in a dream is 35% of his life? Today we offer to improve your sleeping place, make it not only qualitative, but also stylishly decorated.
- 1 What are the soaring beds, how do they achieve this effect?
- 2 Advantages and disadvantages
- 3 What kind of soaring beds are there
- 4 Bed models and materials
- 5 Floating beds in different interiors
- 6 Design project development
- 7 Materials used for work
- 8 How to make a soaring bed by yourself
- 9 How to install LED lighting under the bed yourself
- 10 How to make a floating bed yourself you can learn by watching this video:
- 11 Result
What are the soaring beds, how do they achieve this effect?
The bed is an important element of any home, as we spend almost a third of our lives in it. In addition to the convenience of the design and certain aesthetic requirements, and today we will parse one of the interesting options – a soaring bed. Its main feature is that the lower supports are not visible – they are located far from the edge, so the construction looks as if floating in the air, the effect is further enhanced by lighting.
In modern interiors it is becoming a tradition to get rid of everything superfluous in the rooms, so that each object fulfilled its functional purpose, not cluttering the space, and in harmony with the surrounding furniture and materials of the floor and walls. The soaring bed fulfils a design concept that makes a room seem free and spacious, while the atmosphere is airy.
” Floating” bed just looks like a floating bed. Actually, it has anchor points, but they’re positioned so you can’t see them.
Advantages and disadvantages
Outside the “soaring” bed looks like a bed attached to the wall and hanging above the floor. It looks like the bed only holds on to the wall. In fact, it has supports that are securely hidden. Usually the support is in the very center and it is not visible due to the properly built decorative lighting.
The “Flying” bed will fit into any interior and will always be admired by guests. It will give any room a modern look. Such a bed will look great in the Loft style, in the modern Hi-tech or minimalist styles, it will fit well with a classically decorated room. It’s all about the materials from which the bed is made and which decorates the room.
The “Hovering” bed, apart from its dizzying design, has other advantages:
- the bed is placed close to the wall. Thanks to the fastening it does not loosen.
- It creates an amazing feeling of cleanliness and openness in the room.
- Ideal not only for adults, but also for children and teenagers, to whom it will bring a lot of positive emotions.
- With all the space available under the bed, the bed leaves a lot of “air” and light in the room.
Shortcomings of the soaring bed:
- If the bed is fastened to the wall, it is installed once and for all. It will not be possible to move the bed.
- It doesn’t save space at all. Even under a regular bed with legs you can store some boxes, so to speak about beds with boxes! Nothing can be placed or put under a soaring bed, otherwise the whole effect will be lost. Even socks or slippers left behind will spoil the picture.
- Flying bed is quite difficult to install. You have to resort to the help of professionals. The same applies to the repair of the bed.
What kind of soaring beds are there
Despite the seeming lightness, the flying bed has a stable and reliable construction. Its headboard is firmly fixed to the wall. Of course, the bed cannot hang in the air or stay on the backrest firmly attached to the wall. Of course, it has a support. It’s just well hidden. And the supports are different from one model to another:
- The bed is on a frame that is moved closer to the center and firmly connected to the bottom. It is not necessary to attach this model to the wall.
- The bed is supported by a single support. The support is in the centre and the rays from the strong material are scattered in different directions. Thanks to precise design calculations, the load is distributed evenly and the base is absolutely stable.
- The “hanging” bed in the air rests banally on ordinary legs. But they are arranged so that you can’t see them.
- Models with clear roasted glass supports are recognized.
- A soaring bed hanging on ropes attached to the ceiling beams.
Bed models and materials
Modern manufacturers (floating bed company) produce a large range of soaring beds. They can be of different shapes, sizes and types of fastening, made of different materials – wood, metal, with leather, textile finishing, etc:
- The most popular models are rectangular or round in shape. A rectangular bed is fastened by a headboard to the wall or two sides – it is a corner bed. Interestingly, a round bed can also be a corner bed. Behind the headboard it has a corner which will stand perfectly right against the wall.
- The legs of all soaring beds are carefully hidden. There are beds with only one central support, from which the rays diverge in all directions. Thanks to a clever design, the weight of these rays is distributed evenly – these models can withstand two people weighing 140 kg each. Such support can be sliding, ie, allow you to adjust the height of the bed. It happens that the bed is held on several legs – three or four, but they are concentrated closer to the center so that they are almost not visible. At a row of beds supports are made of transparent tempered glass – they are almost invisible to the eye.
- The upholstery of “soaring” beds is varied. Since such models are not cheap in themselves, the materials used for them are of very high quality. Beds are upholstered with eco and natural leather, dense furniture fabrics. Laconic models made of wood are upholstered in general – they just have a mattress and a bedspread. A number of models have edges to make the mattress as if “drowned” in them and its surface is flush with the edges. More fanciful models in the modern style are simply wooden “substrate”, on which the mattress is placed on top, fixed with special fasteners. It looks great if the mattress is chosen not as simple, but very tall as a featherbed.
- Depending on the cost and the manufacturer
Soaring beds can be equipped with various interesting accessories. Most often such functionality is complemented by the headboard. For example, there may be a place for dishes, a convenient “bucket” to put a bottle of champagne, shelves, racks, etc. can be placed there. There are beds with an extra shelf book or table that rolls up to the bed on wheels and forms a single surface with it.
- Depending on the cost and the manufacturer
- Since the bed itself is usually very concise, designers actively use the headboard to realize their fantasies. It can be simply wooden, upholstered with textiles, covered with leather, glass – the space for fantasy is not limited.
- “Flying” models of furniture are made with or without backlighting. Coloured lamps enhance the illusion of floating above the floor, create an effect of mystery and add futuristicity to the interior. Very often, light helps to conceal supports: it distracts from them the attention of the person watching. LED lamps are installed both on the perimeter of the bed and in the center. They are perfect as a night light – at night you can stand up in peace and move around the room safely.
There is a common myth that flying beds are necessarily attached to the wall. It’s not always true. A number of models have deep recessed legs that imitate wall mounting, but this is just an imitation. In fact, a bed like any other stands on its own supports, creating the illusion of flight.
- At popular manufacturers such models of beds are usually made of solid or LDF or MDF boards. Of course, a bed with a wooden base is more expensive. However, the external finish of MDF does not always speak about cheapness and low quality. For example, a number of soaring beds in the air are created on the basis of all-welded metal frame. Such design, according to reviews, is very strong – can withstand up to 500 kg. At the same time it is decorated from the outside with MDF boards of different colors and patterns.
- Dimensions at such beds can be different. If the furniture is made to order, it is made to individual measures. Ready-made versions are usually 160 x 200 cm, 180 x 200 cm or 200 x 200 cm.
Any furniture, and even more so the bedroom, must be strong and resistant to wear and tear. These qualities depend on materials and manufacturing technology.
Hovering beds fascinate with their fantastic appearance, design features. But they are made from completely traditional materials: wood, metal and combinations of them. For manufacturing of the basis and a headboard strong breeds of a tree – a pine, a nut, an oak, a cherry are used. Metal is usually used in the manufacture of structures on one support. Besides, the headboard on a metal basis as much as possible strongly fixes a sleeping place.
On sale there are soaring beds with wooden and metal parts at the base.
Types of floating beds
- On one leg
- On magnets
- It’s on a metal frame
- It is suspended from the ceiling
Floating beds in different interiors
It would not be quite right to install such a model of bed in a banal and simple interior. For the effect to be dizzying, think every little thing through. Let the bedroom pleases the eye of you and your loved ones. You can take the ideas of professional designers who constantly come up with “flying” beds something new.
If you consider yourself a follower of classics, it does not mean that you contraindicate such furniture. Rather, it will revive your interior. To successfully fit it into the room, you will need to follow the basic rules of classical design – to create in the room correctness and symmetry. Let the bedside tables be on both sides of the bed. On them it will be advisable to put small lamps; you can hang them on the walls symmetrically to each other.
For storage of things will be useful chest of drawers or a small three-door locker. Ideally, it will be combined with the bed by color or will be made of the same material. Windows should be decorated with neat, but rather heavy curtains. Pickups, ruffles, brushes, cords are acceptable.
The “soaring” bed itself is best placed on the wall, which is located at right angles to the window. Ideal would be a white or beige bed (depending on the total colour scheme of the room) with rounded corners. Be sure to order the headboard or its imitation on the wall! This is one of the classic styles. If the bed itself can be extremely simple, it is the headboard that can be richly decorated with stucco, gilded, plant ornaments or upholstered with expensive fabric.
In the classic interior you can do without the backlight under the bed. It’s better if sconces or candles shine.
Designers offer quite interesting solutions for Country style rooms. Of course, this direction does not tolerate minimalism, but if you think through the details, you can get a fairly successful interior.
The bed for such a fingerboard must be made of wood. It is desirable to see the pattern of wood – that is, there should be no paints, panels or upholstery. A soaring country bed should be a spacious wooden bed. Corners are allowed here, i.e. it can be a flat rectangle. Well, if you have a wooden headboard, the simpler the better. It can be a simple, well-grounded board or a few thin laths knocked together.
Modest curtains, a hand-made boardwalk with thin mats, an animal’s trophy head (or its imitation) on the wall – all this will create the right mood. Bedside cabinets are best avoided. If you need space for storage of trifles, it is better to hang a small wooden shelf on the wall.
To achieve the best results in the design with a soaring bed can, of course, in modern and “cold” styles, from which winds austerity, futurism, space.
A bedroom in minimalist style is perfect for those who are tired of endless communication at work and want privacy. It is also considered ideal for singles.
Usually 2-3 colors are used. Light smooth walls, in contrast to them – the floor and furniture. For example, in an absolutely white room there may be a red (black) floor and a bed of the same colour. This should be the only piece of furniture in the room. Above the bed you can hang a laconic picture, 1-2 light sources of simple shape.
Sometimes designers, in order not to “cut” the space of a small room, use a simple trick – if all surfaces are made white (walls, floor and ceiling) and white make the bed, visually it will merge with the walls. The bed linen should contrast in color.
With such solutions, the bed illumination is just right.
If you like high-tech, the bedroom will need to be decorated in black and white, which will be perfectly complemented by shiny, chrome metal parts. A bed with a black base and a white headboard (and vice versa) will be perfect. The headboard can also be glass – it will look extraordinarily effective. Walls can decorate monochrome urban or techno landscapes. You will definitely need a few lamps – a floor lamp of simple shape or futuristic design.
The masters manage to make a bed hanging over the floor with their hands. But in fact, it does not matter whether the bed is made by yourself or it was made in a furniture factory. The main thing is that it will emphasize your individuality and surprise everyone who sees it.
Design project development
Before you start work, you need to do some preparatory work:
- Decide on the size of the soaring bed. Start there – measure the room to understand the size of the structure. It is important to take into account the number of sleepers and their combination, but do not clutter the bedroom.
- Find a mattress of the right size. This is a very important point, which many people miss. Mattresses are manufactured to certain standards, you should find the option that is closest to your needs. These are the parameters that should be taken into account when planning.
When you know the size of a mattress, it won’t be difficult to make an accurate flight bed design.
- A specific model is selected. It is possible to search for interesting decisions in a network the Internet and to use them or to create the variant which will differ from all other models.
- The location of supports is determined. They can be of different sizes, the main thing is to determine on what distance to put them so that they were not visible from the room. The smaller the room, the easier it is, because the viewing angle is limited.
- A project is being drawn up. The more detailed it is and the more detailed you specify all sizes, the easier the assembly process will be. The drawing takes into account all aspects: from dimensions to support height and header configuration.
Materials used for work
Such materials can be used in the assembly:
- Solid wood. The most commonly used materials for the frame are inexpensive pine or larch. For external framing it is better to choose more expensive and attractive species – oak, beech, exotic variants.
Buy should be the highest grade material, without knots and other flaws. The humidity should not exceed 20%.
- LDPE or MDF board. If the budget is limited, these inexpensive materials can be used for the outer frame. They are suitable for framing, but wood should still be used for the supporting part as these options are not strong enough.
- Metal elements. If the supporting part will be assembled from metal, a profiled pipe will be purchased, its quantity depends on the size of the structure. The cross-section may vary, usually 20-30 mm or more are used.
The wood must be dry so as not to deform after assembly.
In addition, other materials are used – fasteners, upholstery, decor, etc. Everything depends on the chosen bed design.
How to make a soaring bed by yourself
Let’s look at two options, you need to choose the one that best fits your conditions.
Wooden soaring bed
The most popular option, as the wood can be processed well and does not require special equipment. From the tool you will need the following:
- Electro jigsaw or circular saw. You can also use a circular saw, if you have one.
- A screwdriver. It is used both for twisting fasteners and for drilling wood. That’s why you should have both attachments and drills in the kit.
- Measuring devices. When working, do not do without a level, tape measure, carpentry angle and pencil.
- Brushes for surface paint application.
Other tools can be used, this is a list of basic accessories.
Let’s move on to the workflow:
Bed with metal frame
If you decide to make a soaring bed with your hands, stock up on the next tool:
- Bulgarians, you need metal cutting and grinding discs.
- Electrodrill with a set of drills on metal.
- Welding machine. It needs electrodes as well. Don’t forget the protective equipment – a special suit and a mask.
- Measuring and marking tools.
- Clamps and clamps for fixing elements at welding.
The working process in this case consists of such stages:
How to install LED lighting under the bed yourself
It’s easy to install the LED under the bed with your own hands:
- Ribbon and control unit are purchased. It is uncoiled and checked for function, if all is well, you can start working.
- The ribbon is glued underneath the bottom part. Arrange it so that the light equipment is not visible from the outside. Sometimes two rows are glued together to ensure the best brightness. It is easy to glue the elements: the protective layer at the back is removed and they are pressed against the surface.
- The control unit is also attached at the bottom. It is simply glued to the double-sided tape. After that, the electricity is connected and the system is checked for proper functioning.
- A mattress is laid on the finished structure. After the bed is made up and you can use it.
How to make a floating bed yourself you can learn by watching this video:
Now you know how to build a spectacular soaring bed with your hands. The video will help you understand the process even better, and if you have any questions, ask them in the comments below.